Benjie Blanco Envinate 2020
Envínate (meaning 'wine yourself') is the brainchild of four friends who met while studying enology at the University of Miguel Hernández in Alicante. Their work is currently focused in exploring the ancient, Atlantic-infused terroirs of Extremadura, Ribeira Sacra, and the Canary Islands. Their philosophy is simple; let each 'parcela' or single parcel, fully express itself by utilizing old-fashioned farming and wine-making methods. To this end, no chemicals are used in any of the Envínate vineyards, all parcels are picked by hand, the grapes are foot-trodden, and the wines are fermented exclusively with wild yeasts, with a varying proportion of whole clusters included. Typically alcohol levels are kept at 13 degrees or below. For aging, the wines are raised in old barrels with sulfur added only at bottling. The results are some of the most distinctive and exciting wines being produced in Spain today.
Wine Notes: Benje Blanco is sourced from several old-vine, untrained pie franco parcels of Listan Blanco. Each parcel is hand-harvested and vinified separately in a mix of concrete tank and open tubs. 75% of the fruit is pressed directly off the skins, the other 25% is skin- macerated 14-40 days between 18-30C. The wine is then raised for 8 months in 60% concrete and 40% old French barriques on fine lees without battonage or added SO2. Bottled without filtration. Benje Blanco is a high-toned white wine, showing its volcanic terruño with smoky notes wrapped around the orchard fruit core, braced by Atlantic-infused high-elevation acidity. Pair it with prawns, scallops, roasted pork or goat.